Daily Archives: June 6, 2016
Dilemma as Vardy Mulls Over Joining Arsenal or Staying at Leicester
We were 100% sure about a few things – Arsenal were interested in acquiring the services of Jamie Vardy and even activated his release clause. This meant that Leicester was ‘powerless’ as the Gunners discussed with Vardy’s representatives and a bumper £120,000-per-week deal was agreed. Vardy had recently signed an £80,000-per-week deal at the tail end of last season as a reward for his performances in the league last season.
Everything seemed to be going according to plan. Vardy was even set to have his medicals in London Colney before returning to the England camp ahead of their scheduled travel to France today. Instead of rolling over and playing dead, Leicester launched a counter offer to their prized asset, bringing a new contract that is believed to match what the Gunners are offering their man.
This has somewhat turned the screw on the move and as it stands, it’s down to Vardy himself to determine whether he would stay at Leicester or move to North London. A real dilemma indeed. The forward is within his own rights to make a decision on his future but it’s worth noting that there are some pros and cons (from my perspective, obviously) if he chooses to stay or leave Leicester. Let’s look at them shall we?
Vardy Decides to Stay at Leicester – PROS
- New bumper contract of £120,000-per-week
- Confirmed Champions League football this season
- There is no doubt that with him spearheading the Foxes attack, they could mount another title challenge
- He will earn more respeck from the Leicester faithful as the man that stayed and there would be more adoration for him
Vardy Decides to Stay at Leicester – CONS
- At 29, this is his final chance to make one big move in his career
- He would have thrown away the chance to join one of the most prestigious clubs in English football
- He would have missed the opportunity to play alongside quality teammates like Petr Cech, Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez that would have fed him with a boatload of chances to stake a better claim for the Golden Boot that Harry Kane won
As I stated earlier, the decision rests entirely with Vardy and we would know in the coming hours.
Download the Gooner Daily BlackBerry App to receive notifications on your Smart Phone when a post is published.
Follow Gooner Daily on Twitter @goonerdaily.
Visit Gooner Daily’s Facebook page.
Click on the “Follow button” to join Gooner Daily’s Mailing List